This workshop is suitable for both the novice or more confident stitcher who wishes to combine and explore mediums of machine sewn fabric applique alongside free machine embroidery stitch to create a fabric applique picture which can then be framed if so desired.Places available: 8
Date Saturday, 28th August 2021
Times – 10.00am to 4.00pm
Using a combination of reverse fabric applique and free machine embroidery, you will have the opportunity to create your own unique picture in fabric and stitch.
Working from either your own ideas or provided templates and using a combination of different fabrics which can be pieced, patched, layered
and then worked into with free machine embroidery you will be shown all the skills of how to create and sew a textile picture of your choice using this exciting medium.
Techniques in free machine stitch, reverse fabric applique alongside free machine embroidery will be demonstrated, giving you skill, knowledge and the confidence to apply these practices, enhancing and bringing to life your picture with depth, texture, colour and your own drawn stitch line.
This workshop is suitable for both the novice or more confident stitcher who wishes to combine and explore mediums of machine sewn fabric applique alongside free machine embroidery stitch to create a fabric applique picture which can then be framed if so desired.
- Bring along a simple idea, either a photo or picture, something that inspirers you, or gain inspiration from one of the templates provided at the workshop.
- You will also need to bring your own sewing machine which is in good working order and
- can lower its feed dogs and has a compatible free machine embroidery foot.
What you need to bring
- An Electric sewing machine, in good working order which can drop the dog feed teeth or has a plate that fits over the teeth.
- Please make sure that your electrical equipment (sewing machine, table sewing light extension lead) has been recently PAT tested.
- Your sewing machine manual.
- Sewing machine accessories (oil, screwdriver, etc.)
- A darning foot/free motion machine embroidery foot that is compatible with your machine.
- Size 80 needles.
- An extension lead.
- Hand sewing needles.
- Notebook and pen, pencil, paper, ruler.
- Fabric scissors.
- Small embroidery/sharp scissors.
- A selection of fabric pieces in the colours and textures that you wish to work with.
- All bobbin spools that are compatible with your sewing machine.
- Reference materials such as: nature, animal, bird pictures, drawings, photographs, patterning- visual material that interests you.
It is very important that your machine is in good working order and that the feed dog teeth can be dropped, or that a plate can be fitted over the teeth and that you have a free motion machine embroidery foot/darning foot that is compatible with your sewing machine.
Please bring all your sewing machine tools and the sewing machine manual, don’t forget your sewing machine leads and foot pedal.
Please bring as much as you can from the equipment list, if however you do not have any of the list, I always bring everything with me, (except sewing machines and sewing machine feet) and items can be purchased at a small cost.
- Tea and coffee and biscuits on arrival
- Lunch – Light Buffet Lunch, tea and coffee
- Tea and coffee and cake in the afternoon
Don’t forget to add any dietary requirements on checkout.