About Fiona Champion
Fiona is a self-taught artist with a love of animals, especially the big cats. Inspiration for her paintings comes from safaris to South Africa and visits to zoos and breeding and conservation programs.
I just love big cats, and I love painting BIG (large paintings) cats!Animals and wildlife have always been important to me – ever since I was a child. I used to draw a bit then, but only in later in life, did I begin to paint in earnest and wildlife has been my focus.I have travelled to Africa several times, and also searched out big cats in this country, to see those I haven’t yet managed to see in the wild. I am constantly overwhelmed by the grace, beauty and power of these animals – they are my main influence. I want to capture something of their contrasting personalities – to show that these ferocious creatures are sometimes gentle or playful.I do sometimes paint other wildlife too!I also sculpt and have elephants, cheetah and polar bear, cast in bronze, and even a life size lioness, with cubs, for the garden – in bronze resin.
- 2018 – Finalist in David Shepherd Wildlife Artist of the Year Exhibition, Mall Galleries.
- 2017 – Finalist in David Shepherd Wildlife Artist of the Year Exhibition (and sold) at the Mall Galleries London.
- 2016 – Peoples Choice for “Wild Dog” (sold) at Southern Nature Art Exhibition.
- 2016 – Selected for the David Shepherd Wildlife Artist of the Year exhibition.
- June 2016 – Member of Guildford Art Society team put forward for the National Art Club of the Year Competition, the team came runners up in the finals.
- May 2016 – Awarded best painting prize Arundel Art Society
- October 2015 – Awarded Mixed Media Prize (and sold) at Guildford Art Society Exhibition.
- July 2015 – Awarded the PAINTING PRIZE (and sold) at the Armed Forces Art Society (AFAS) Exhibition in the Mall Galleries, London.
- July 2015 – Finalist in the David Shepherd WILDLIFE ARTIST OF THE YEAR, included in the exhibition (and sold) at the Mall Galleries, London.
- 2015 – All 3 paintings submitted to the NATIONAL EXHIBITION OF WILDLIFE ART (NEWA) were selected and subsequently all were sold.
- 2013 – Finalist in the BBC’S WILDLIFE MAGAZINE ‘WILDLIFE ARTIST OF THE YEAR ’ – gaining a Highly Commended for my painting.
- 2013 – Awarded a HIGHLY COMMENDED at the AFAS exhibition in the Mall Galleries.
- 2012 – Awarded the WORSHIPFUL COMPANY OF PAINTER STAINERS prize at the AFAS exhibition, (Mall Galleries, London).
Unconditional Love – Acrylic, Framed
Size: 28 x 36 inch
A Moment to Myself
Size: 16 x 20 in
Size: 23.5 x 35 in
Size: – 23.5 x 23.5 in